The Islamic Society of West Valley serves a growing Muslim community in the San Fernando Valley. Among services offered by ISWV are programs focused on Muslim youth. Muslim Youth is defined as all males and females between the ages of fourteen & twenty-one.
The Youth Director will be the primary lead for youth programs and services. The intent for such programs and services will be to recruit, cultivate, and retain Muslim youth. Programming will be offered on an ongoing basis with the support of a volunteer base that is also recruited and developed by the Youth Director.
Programming may include educational classes, special activities and events designed to attract Muslim youth who reside in San Fernando Valley. The Youth Director is responsible for providing youth with comprehensive and balanced programing focused on youth empowerment and leadership, religious education, recreation, civic engagement and relationship building. Such programs are designed to create an environment conducive to Islamic learning, character development and leadership.
This is a highly collaborative role that requires a great deal of autonomy, good judgment, and the ability to see multiple projects through to completion with minimal errors. This is a part-time, non-exempt position that reports directly to the ISWV Executive Director (ED).
The ISWV Youth Director’s primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Plan, organize and implement a wide array of activities, events and services including but not limited to:
- Youth group, youth outings (Friday night socials), summer programs (overnight camp), Ramadan programs, tutoring programs, job training programs, life skills classes, halaqat (study circles), and leadership training.
- Recruit, cultivate and retain local youth for program participation and leadership.
- Recruit, develop and maintain a network of volunteers to serve as chaperones and to help plan and execute youth activities and events.
- Establish a structure (i.e. Youth Council) that will assist in the creation and execution of goals and services.
- Establish ongoing communication with youth, including but not limited to use of social media and website.
- Be a resource for youth seeking support to resolve conflicts, overcome life hurdles and replace undesirable habits with acceptable behaviors.
- Outreach to regular and non-regular youth attendees of ISWV.
- Prepare and deliver youth lectures, classes, and sermons as needed.
- Be accessible to youth outside of normal office hours for urgent issues.
- Continuously keep the ED up-to-date on relevant changes.
- Develop a one year operational and strategic plan containing the following:
- Measurable outcomes for recruiting and retaining youth.
- Measurable outcomes for increasing faith, knowledge, self-esteem and life-skills of youth o Process on how to integrate youth into the larger ISWV community.
- Process on how youth can be active in the community through service and membership o Outline of gender specific activities and programming as appropriate and applicable.
- Create and maintain a youth database.
- Submit and manage an annual budget for youth related services.
- Submit quarterly reports to ED
- Represent ISWV at meetings, partnerships and events when related to youth
- Meet with the ED monthly to discuss progress and receive feedback and suggestions
- Participate in trainings and conferences to further develop abilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the ED
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Pursuance or completion of a Bachelor’s degree
- Preferably with major coursework in humanities, human services, social sciences or Islamic scholarship.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in Islamic educational work or adolescent program development and implementation.
- Work experience in Masjid programs/event planning preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient using the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; knowledgeable in database software; knowledge in online form builder tools desired.
- Detail-oriented, multi-tasking, and superb organization and time management skills.
- Ability to create positive working relationships with a diverse group of people
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Professional, courteous and friendly personality.
- Ability to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, creatively solve problems, and meet deadlines with minimum supervision.
- Available to work evenings and weekends.
Competitive salary depending on experience *Must be legal resident or citizen of the United States of America.