The Islamic Society of West Valley serves a growing Muslim community in the San Fernando Valley. Among services offered by ISWV is a comprehensive Sunday School program. ISWV’s Sunday School lays the foundation to cultivate a comprehensive Muslim identity. We aspire to instill God consciousness and to provide an environment that nurtures the love and confidence of being a Muslim. Our objective is for students to graduate from our program empowered to become balanced practicing Muslims.
The Sunday School Administrator (SSA) will be the primary lead and point of contact for the Sunday School programs and its services. The SSA is primarily expected to be a role model for the Sunday School Community in accordance with the sunnah of the Prophet (SAW) exhibiting kindness, patience, understanding, compassion and a knowledge of and passion for education.
The SSA will be instrumental in developing the foundation for the curriculum, pedagogy and educational philosophy for the ISWV Sunday School program. The SSA should also have the ability to supervise and evaluate the instructional program; the ability to facilitate professional development that results in improved student outcomes; experience working collaboratively with all stakeholders and demonstrating professionalism and respectfulness in all interactions; the ability to articulate clear and specific expectations for teachers and staff; strong and effective planning and organizational skills; the ability to work independently; excellent time management skills and the ability to multi-task while meeting commitments and deadlines; an understanding of policies and procedures for Sunday school; the ability to interpret data to inform decisions and develop action plans that will result in continuous and sustainable student achievement; a variety of experiences in managing school operations; experience with school budgets; and the ability to support the implementation of a positive school-wide behavior support plan.
This is a highly collaborative role that requires a great deal of autonomy, good judgment, and the ability to see multiple projects through to completion with minimal errors. This is a part-time, non-exempt position that reports directly to the ISWV Sunday School Administrative Team
The ISWV SSA’s primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Collaborate with the ISWV Sunday School Administrative Team to define, develop and implement Sunday School curriculum, operating procedures, disciplinary protocols, calendars, educational materials and other policies, procedures or materials necessary to establish a sustainable and viable Sunday School program.
- Develop and deliver professional development
- Support instructional staff in establishing rigorous curricular standards, lessons and activities
- Monitor and support the effectiveness of the instructional program
- Maintain positive and effective communication with ISWV Sunday School community
- Develop effective strategies to sustain and enlarge Sunday School population
- Plan and develop extracurricular activities in collaboration with Sunday School staff and community
- Develop a one year operational and strategic plan containing the following:
- Measurable outcomes for recruiting and retaining students
- Measurable outcomes for increasing faith, knowledge of curriculum, self-esteem and life-skills of students
- Process on how to assess competency for each grade levels
- Process on how to measure community satisfaction with the delivery of services (i.e. school survey)
- Outline of gender specific activities and programming as appropriate and applicable
- Support staff to maintain punctual and consistent attendance
- Develop and implement a budget in collaboration with the Sunday School Administrative
- Meet regularly with parents to articulate Sunday School goals, values, etc.
- Address operational, disciplinary and curricular issues
- Represent ISWV at meetings, partnerships and events when related to Sunday School
- Meet with the Sunday School Administrative team monthly to discuss progress and receive feedback and suggestions
- Participate in trainings and conferences to further develop abilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Sunday School Administrative team
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Pursuance or completion of a Master’s degree
- Preferably with major coursework in education, human services, social sciences or Islamic scholarship
- Minimum 2 years of experience in Islamic educational work or work in field related to education
- Work experience in Masjid programs/event planning preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient using the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; knowledgeable in database software; knowledge in online form builder tools desired.
- Detail-oriented, multi-tasking, and superb organization and time management skills.
- Ability to create positive working relationships with a diverse group of people
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Professional, courteous and friendly personality.
- Ability to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, creatively solve problems, and meet deadlines with minimum supervision.
- Available to work evenings and weekends.
Competitive salary depending on experience
*Must be legal resident or citizen of the United States of America
ISWV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate due to age, sex, religion, race, color, national origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other factor prohibited by law. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.